New Year, New GoalsWhy a New Year is the Perfect Time to Redecorate
When is the Best Time of Year to Redecorate?
New Year’s, of course! When the end of year festivities are over, the champagne bottles are dry, the tinsel and fairy lights are back in the box ready to go into storage, we sometimes look around our homes in January and find it… well, lacking something.
We all spend those first days of each new year setting goals and making changes for the new year ahead, but we don’t often think about making these changes where we can see them – in our own homes.
Why is a New Year the Perfect Time to Redecorate?
1. Physical Change Helps Mental Changes
A key way to create real change in yourself and your life is to create a physical manifestation of it. For example, if one of your goals this year is to get a promotion to a senior position in your company, ask yourself if your current home feels like the kind of home you would live in if you had that position. If not, it’s time to change.
Now, this doesn’t mean that you need to move, knock down walls, or throw out all your furniture. Instead, envision what you’d like your home to look like if you achieved some of your biggest goals and consider what changes you could make to move your home toward that. This can be as small as a new coat of paint on the walls in the living room and a new rug or as large as a complete renovation.
2. You’re Likely Spending More Time at Home (Time to Declutter)
For at least the first few months of the year here in the UK, the days are still short, dark, and the weather can be fairly unpredictable. Now is the time to look around your home, spend some wet or dark days clearing out all the things you don’t need or no longer love, brainstorm what changes you want to make, and talk to professionals about what work you’ll need doing.
3. You Avoid Starting as the Good Weather Hits
A lot of people wait until spring to start making any big decisions, but the problem with this is that by the time spring comes you’ll have far more exciting things going on and plans to make than spending time organizing your renovations. If you know your life gets much busier come April or May, try to redecorate in the first quarter of the year so you have the rest of the year to focus on other goals.
4. You Decorate with Bad Weather in Mind
Many of us lust over pure white homes with few pops of colour, but the truth is when it’s February, dark, cold, and has been raining for two weeks straight, that white home is no longer so appealing. Sure, in the summer the blue skies and green grass outside helps light up the room, but now in the winter it feels cold and any dirt that gets tracked in from outside (inevitable!) is incredibly obvious.
If you plan your decorating in the winter months you are much more likely to include warm tones, textures, and accent colours and patterns on the walls. There aren’t any designs that look great in the dark and terrible in beautiful sunny weather, but there certainly are designs that will leave you reaching for the blanket or searching for accent colours to make everything look a little less clinical.
5. You Have Clarity
The end of one year and the start of another is a time for reflection and planning, and so it’s a time we often have a lot of clarity around what we want our lives to be like in the future. This kind of clarity will make your renovations easier for you and the professionals you work with, as you’ll be much more decisive about what you want.
6. Another Year Older
Hopefully, the idea of being another year older isn’t one that depresses you – you can (and should!) always embrace each new year of being older and wiser, but that also means that often our homes no longer reflect who we feel we are inside. A new year is a perfect time to bring your home up to how you feel your home should look or redecorate a child’s bedroom.
7. January Sales
Have you grown tired of your living room décor and are ready to completely change things up? Now is the perfect time to try something new and adventurous with your walls, as you can take advantage of the January sales and buy furniture you would have chosen anyway at a discount.
How to Find Ideas for Redecorating
Once you’ve decided that this new year is the perfect time for an overhaul of your home, it’s time to gather your ideas. Here are a few places to start your research:
- Pinterest – If you enjoy interior design and you’re not yet using Pinterest, you’re missing out! Many people think of Pinterest as a social media platform, but it’s not, it’s actually a search engine where you can find images or products that inspire them and “pin” them (save them) to your boards (a digital version of a pinboard – hence the name). There are thousands of great images on Pinterest you can look through and save to your boards for inspiration later or to share with the professionals you work with. If you install the browser plugin, you can also create new pins from websites, which is ideal when you’re searching for the perfect piece for your new living room (or any other space).
- Magazines – When was the last time you picked up a magazine? While magazines aren’t our weekly shopping lists anymore, they full of beautiful images of interiors that are in vogue right now. If you’re someone who likes to stay on top of the trends, this is a good place to look.
- Ask a Professional – If you like living in a well-designed space but aren’t keen on designing it yourself, find a key piece or two you want the room to work with and ask professionals to help design the room around those. For example, if you wanted a feature wall we can help by advising many different options depending on your style and design you’re looking for to be the ideal desired focal point of the room, we can work with you and your interior designer to find the right wallpaper design for your space and the pieces you want to include.
5 Steps to Take Now
1. Outline your personal, professional, and family goals for the year ahead
This will help you find clarity around the kind of spaces you want to spend your time relaxing in. Maybe you love the look of brightly coloured rooms with warm hues, but in reality, when you come home you want to feel calm and see delicate patterns. If you have young children or plan to start a family, a very delicate wallpaper in your entryway will quickly become scuffed by pushchairs and shoes.
What do you like about your current space and what would you like to change? Brainstorm ideas, colours, themes, and materials you might like to incorporate so you don’t walk into the research step blind.
3. Set a Budget
Your budget doesn’t need to be an exact figure, but it should be a guiding light. This will help you rein yourself in when you see a beautiful image on Pinterest, look around your home and think, “If we just took out this wall here and that wall there…” Sometimes knocking out walls is the right decision, but only if you’ve been planning for that kind of work for a while. There is a lot you can do with a space simply by changing up the wallpaper or paint on the walls and the furniture you use, and that’s a much smaller commitment! You can always change this up again next year, but you can’t easily build and teardown walls each year.
Jump on Pinterest, buy those magazines, nosy at other people’s homes; do whatever you need to do to gather ideas for your own home so you can put a plan together.
5. Contact Professionals
You’re ready to jump in! Now is the time to contact any professionals you need to complete your renovation, talk to them about your ideas, and see when they are available to work on your project. Of course, if you’re in the UK and need a professional to help you choose and hang the very best in modern wallpaper or paint, we’re here to help.
As Painters and Wallpaper Hangers, we work with some of the world’s best wallpaper and paint manufacturers to bring our clients forward-thinking products and unique wallpaper for their walls. The wallpaper we work with completely transforms the space it is installed in, and we work with a revolutionary paint brand, https://www.paulwaldeninteriors.com/painter-and-wallpaper-hanger/ which not only offers a superior finish, but is also eco-friendly, good for your home, and healthy for your family.
You’re now ready to go out there and tackle your new year renovations! Just as you should with your own goals, commit fully to your project and create a space you feel inspired by. If you’d like to talk with us more about your ideas, please get in touch and we look forward to hearing from you.